Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Supper: Quinoa Burgers with Spicy Pesto, Flatbread, and Baked Sweet Potato


Supper Level: Simple but Tasty (about 45 minute prep time)
This was Nate's favorite vegetarian meal yet, which isn't that surprising considering how protein-packed quinoa is. (Fun Fact for the Day: Quinoa is not a grain but rather a chenopod- related to spinach and beets) Anyways, according to Nate, this was the first meal I've made where he wasn't missing meat. I thought it was pretty delicious myself- and very filling. Quinoa is a major staple of my diet already, but this was a fun new way to cook it. And it's really pretty simple.

To make the Quinoa patties, I combined two different recipes. This recipe from Seven Spoons for Quinoa Patties looked pretty good, but required bread crumbs, which I did not have on hand and aren't particularly gluten-free (though you could make your own from gluten-free bread). This recipe from Roost for Lentil Cakes is one I've had bookmarked for quite a while, and it is gluten-free. So I thought I could split the difference and come up with something in the middle- and it worked!


Quinoa Burgers (adapted from Roost and Seven Spoons)
(makes 12 small patties, approximate prep time: 35 minutes)

Ingredients:
2 cups of cooked quinoa*
1 tbs butter or oil (I use coconut oil)
1 leek, chopped into thin half-moons
1 quarter of an onion, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or two tsp garlic powder, if you're out of garlic like me)
2 eggs
1/2 cup of grated cheese**
Salt and Pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Cook your quinoa (if you haven't already- this recipe totally works with leftover quinoa). 
3. Chop your veggies. Heat the butter/oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and onion to the skillet and saute until barely translucent. Add your garlic and cook for an extra minute or two (be careful not to let it burn). [If you're lazy like me and using garlic powder, don't put the powder in the pan- wait until you start mixing everything together.]
4. Put it all together! Put your quinoa in a medium-large mixing bowl and add in the leeks, onion, and garlic [or garlic powder]. Add your cheese and the eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix together until well combined.
5. Grease a baking sheet. Scoop out a 1/4-1/3 of a cup (depending on how big you want your patties) of the quinoa mix using a measuring cup and press it onto the baking sheet to make a patty. 
6. Bake patties for 25 minutes in the oven until just golden brown. Let cool slightly before handling. 

 *Cooking Quinoa: I buy my quinoa at Trader Joe's and just follow the directions on the package- it's super easy. But, for those without a Trader Joe's nearby, you can also buy quinoa in bulk at Whole Foods for about the same price. To cook it in the microwave, add 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high (covered) for 4 minutes. Stop and stir. Microwave for 2 more minutes on high, then let stand for a couple minutes before fluffing it with a fork. Done! (6 minutes- told you it was easy!)

**Cheese: I used a mix of a parmesan-gouda melange and some goat's milk cheddar, which was delicious, but you could use just about any mix of hard cheese. You can add more than a 1/2 cup if you like; I just tend to go easy on the dairy.


Alternative Option: This would make an awesome quinoa salad- just leave out the eggs!
(Or fry the eggs and stick them on top)

I think I've mentioned before that I can be kinda lazy when I cook, and this recipe is one of those pretty obvious manifestations of this. I bought my pesto from Safeway and just spiced it up a bit. But if you want to make your own, I recommend this Basil Pesto recipe from Roost.

Spicy Pesto 
(makes just less than a cup of sauce, approximate prep time: 3 minutes)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of Pesto
2 oz. Chevre (goat cheese)
1/4 cup of Greek Yogurt
Sriracha Sauce

Mix the pesto, Chevre, and greek yogurt together and add Sriracha to taste. Done! 

Alternative Option: Instead of mixing the Sriracha into the pesto, just add a drizzle to straight to the burger


Flatbread
I used this recipe for yogurt flatbread from Love and Lemons. It's super easy, gluten-free, and delicious. I didn't have any spelt flour so I used brown rice flour instead and it turned out fine. The dough, however, is a little bit tricky to work with (it's really, really sticky). I ended up using a drop-in-the-pan-then-flatten method instead of actually rolling out the dough. As a result, my flatbread wasn't quite 5-inches in diameter, but it was still very tasty! (P.S. I highly recommend doubling the recipe, just in case you lose a little bit of dough due to stickiness.)

The Assembled Burger
(The flatbread is delicious!!!)
Baked Sweet Potato
(serves two, approximate prep time: 12 minutes)
This is also the lazy way to bake a sweet potato, but it works!

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato
Maple Syrup
Salt and Pepper
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Allspice

1. Wash the sweet potato. Prick all over with a fork (or stab, if you like). Wrap in paper towel.
2. Microwave on high for eight minutes.
3. Remove from microwave and chop into 1-inch chunks. While chopping, the potato skin should slide of very easily. Discard skin. 
4. Mash potato chunks in a small bowl. Add maple syrup, salt pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to taste. Done!

To round it all out, I'd recommend adding a nice spinach salad with some Balsamic vinegar, but I was fresh out of spinach (and too lazy to run to the grocery store). But either way, it was pretty delicious supper. 


It looks so tiny here, but after 2 burgers each + the potato, both of us were stuffed!


Oh, and if you're looking for more gluten-free recipes, Love and Lemons and Roost are both awesome places to find some!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts are welcome!