Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Living with Lewis


I love CS Lewis. I love how approachable he is and how well he explains the most complicated things in the most beautifully simple metaphors. I love reading his books- it almost feels like I’m sitting down with him for a cup of coffee and discussing the mysteries of life and faith and it’s just wonderful. So for the next while I plan to work my way through A Grief Observed, the latest book of his that I'm reading, and share what I find. This quote particularly got me thinking. And I guess I like it because it’s the same struggle I have. I really struggle quite often to believe that God is good. And it’s somewhat comforting to know that I am not the only one who wrestles with this question. I can’t wait to see if he comes to a conclusion later in the book. In the meantime, I’ll struggle with it myself and see if I come up with anything that rings true for me.
“If God’s goodness is inconsistent with hurting us, then either God is not good or there is no God: for in the only life we know He hurts us beyond out worst fears and beyond all we can imagine.” (44)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts are welcome!