Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday's Musings: Thankfulness

Winter's End


I am incredibly blessed. 

Unfortunately, like most people, I have a habit of focusing on the negative things going on in my life instead of seeing the enormous amount of good things that tremendously outweigh the bad. So today's post will be all about counting blessings:

I spent much of my weekend with great friends, got to spend time with a few people I haven't seen in months, went to the IceCats (hockey) game, ate amazing food, and enjoyed Tucson's beautiful spring weather.

I have an incredible community at Second Mile that loves to eat and laugh and spend time and enjoy life together.

I have friends who talk about weird and crazy things (like foot anatomy and the lack of diapers in some foreign countries) and who love to build each other up.

I live in Tucson, AZ, where it can be 80 degrees and sunny in February.

I am a university student in the U.S. which automatically places me in the top 1% of the world's population in terms of wealth, no matter how broke I think I am.

My fridge is full of fresh fruits and vegetables, and I have the time and resources to be able to eat a balanced diet and get plenty of exercise. I never have to go hungry. 

So far I've been able to travel to 15 different countries and have all sorts of amazing experiences that have given me a unique perspective on the world.

I am studying a topic which completely fascinates me and am able to do things I love (research, learn, read lots of books). No matter how much I complain sometimes about my thesis, I really do love what I'm doing right now.

I'm currently an ESL teaching intern with Iskashitaa Refugee Harvesting Network and I love it. It's been a great challenge and incredible blessing to get to serve the Tucson refugee community.

I have an amazing boyfriend who is so good to me and whom I love very much.

In my apartment right now, I have more material goods (clothes, shoes, etc, than I would probably ever need). (Something that I am hoping to use to bless others.)

In the last year, I've gotten to know students from countries around the world and eat food with them and hang out with them, which I've loved.

I have grown so much and been so blessed through leadership in InterVarsity- it has challenged me in my faith, provided a great community, and introduced me to many of my closest friends.

It's spring in Tucson, and all sorts of plants are blooming. The flowers have been gorgeous, and it seems like there's new life everywhere I turn.

I live within walking distance of a fantastic coffee shop and get to enjoy delicious coffee every day

There's a lot more that I haven't listed here, but it's a start. If you haven't thought about it in a while, I do greatly recommend starting a list of the ways you are blessed. What are you thankful for?


All photos taken by Kara Haberstock, February 2012, all rights reserved
Pin It