Thursday, July 26, 2012

Film: Baseball in the Time of Cholera

I post this film with mixed feelings. It's a well-crafted documentary about an important topic. I don't think Haiti should fade from memory just because two years have passed since the earthquake. 

At the same time, I don't completely agree with the filmmakers' message. I'm not sure that signing a petition to the UN is the proper response here. Something about their choice of subjects rubs me a bit the wrong way-- I'm not always sure how I feel about the use of children in these sorts of projects. But do watch the film. If you want to get involved, from my own knowledge of the Haitian situation I can recommend Partners in Health, Compassion International, Samaritan's Purse, the International Commission of the Red Cross, and the Haitian Red Cross as reputable organizations with a history of work in Haiti. 


BASEBALL IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA from RYOT on Vimeo.
Baseball in The Time of Cholera is a powerful insight into the tragedy and scandal of Haiti's Cholera epidemic through the eyes of a young baseball player. Watch the film, share it with your network and visit http://undeny.org to sign the petition. Together we can end this crisis!

*Note: Sharing this on Twitter or Facebook is nice, but it doesn't really change much. Awareness is only half the story. Again, I encourage you to check out the organizations above that I know are actively working in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts are welcome!