Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Living with Lewis: Love

Found via Pinterest (if you know the original source, please send it to me)

This quote, from the first chapter of The Four Loves, is probably one of my all-time favorite quotes on love. Lewis describes the kinds and aspects of love we give and experience in this life, though they usually exist altogether. He writes:

"Need love says of a woman "I cannot live without her"; Gift-love longs to give her happiness, comfort, protection- if possible wealth; Appreciative love gazes and holds its breath and is silent, rejoices that such a wonder should exist even if not for him, will not be wholly dejected by losing her, would rather have it so than never to have seen her at all" (17).

How beautiful is that?

I think that in the last year I have begun to understand all three of these aspects of love so much more. And when they come all in the same breath-- that is a sense so overwhelming and wonderful that I cannot put it into words any more eloquent than those of Lewis and the other masters of poetry and prose that have filled our world with books and songs and verse.